Monday, March 28, 2011

Chicken Noodles, Comfort Me Please?

It was a drizzly, cold morning when I was waiting for the bus. As crazy as it sounds, for the past five years, I rarely go out by myself, without my kid(s). It feels liberating, yet nerve-wrecking. When I left the house, the kids were still sleeping, the boy tucked next to his dad and the girl slept soundly, the only noise was their snore.

I was going to an open house for a culinary school. About 6 years ago, I applied to this same school but due to financial and immigration problem, I had no choice but to back out. Now the latter is settled, so we decided it's time to go back. Despite my worry about being socially inept, I made small talks without turning red (major improvement, I dare say). And heck, I like this school. There was another school that I was considering but it doesn't fit my needs and it's quite a distance from where I live, while this one is just a 10-min drive away.

Spinach soup

When I got home, I could not stop yapping about how excited I was to go back to school. Then my husband, the ever logical man, asked me "but what about the kids?". See, I was so fucking happy, I didn't even think! Sadly, we're in between. While we're not eligible to get subsidized childcare, at the same time, we cannot afford childcare. So this week task is to call around, to find a nice, friendly, loving, caring and affordable childcare. Just wish us luck... I know that when there's a will, there will be a way.

Meanwhile, with all that out, this bowl of noodles would be great to comfort me. Keeps me sated for awhile. I call it feel-better noodles. Corny, but yes! It does make us feel better. Last week, my son did mischievous stuff (I can't remember what it was, but bad enough that I had to make him go sit in the laundry room), he felt so guilty and worried that I've stopped loving him. I presented him with this bowl of noodles, then with his eyes beaming with relief he said "You love me because you give me noodles! I love slurping noodles!" 


Chicken Noodles
Ingredients:
  • 1 box of mushrooms, quartered
  • 4 chicken thighs (we like skin-on, but feel free to use skinless), boiled then cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • Salt and white pepper to taste
  • A dash oil (I use peanut oil)
  • 1 package (500gr) dried Chinese noodles, cook according to instruction on the package 

Saute garlic in the oil until fragrant, add in the chicken and mushrooms. Season with fish sauce, salt and pepper.

Serve atop of noodles and garnish with sliced green onions.

Simple, yes? I love having spinach soup to go with it too.

3 comments:

  1. I'm wishing you luck! What is your idea of "affordable" childcare? I used to get annoyed with stingy Asian parents who pay next to nothing for babysitting services, but now I'm starting to understand their financial strain (unless they are cheap rich Asians).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sophia! My idea of affordable is as long as it doesn't exceed our monthly rent. I don't mind paying a lot if I can afford it, because after all, these are the people we're leaving our kids with when we're gone. Too bad we're not rich hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine, this sure looks good. Simple yet good.
    Love the soup. And that chicken noodles look really delicious!
    Ha ha, I like your son....
    His mom is a never ending song in his heart of comfort, happiness and being.
    He may sometimes forget the words, but he always remembers the tune.

    And a son may love his sweetheart the most, his wife the best. But his mother....the longest.

    Okay, pass him more noodles, ha ha ha.
    You have a nice day and keep a song in your heart. Best regards.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete