Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Simplest Chocolate Brownies

They all say my son inherits my temper, but not only that. He also inherits my love of chocolate.


As a kid, I loved everything chocolate (still do), especially dark chocolate. And quite picky about it too... no flavors combination for me. I didn't even like chocolate covered strawberries! When my parents took us to the bakery, I'd pick chocolate filled bun. When my siblings opted for sundaes, I'd rather have a bowl of unadorned chocolate ice cream. Candy bar? I'll pass unless it's chocolate.
As an adult, my taste-bud has developed. I finally enjoy chocolate covered strawberries. As for my son, he has more developed palate than I was at his age (turning 4 in January!). He loves chocolate mint cookies my husband bought just the day before. He even loves bitter chocolate! How many kids like Lindt dark chocolate bar that contains 99% cacao?

Whenever my son and I crave for chocolate, to satisfy our craving, we always make this modest brownies. No nuts, no fancy swirl. Simple but it'll make you want more, one bite isn't going to be enough.

The recipe was adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (1998 edition). Instead of using only 2oz of chocolate, I used 3oz of it.

Ingredients:
  • 3oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped 
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder, added to the flour
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F. Foil and grease an 8-inch square pan. 

Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water. Stir often. When the chocolate is about melted, remove from heat and stir until mixture is smooth.


Stir in the sugar into the mixture, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the flour, vanilla and salt. 


Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, until the batter is set.



I find it easier to cut after it stays in the refrigerator for awhile. We prefer our brownies cold.. so if you're one of those who like warm brownies, just scoop the brownies out. This brownies is gooey when still warm. It's good with cold vanilla ice cream (chocolate on chocolate for us, please!)

No comments:

Post a Comment