Monday, January 17, 2011

Lemon Pound Cake Story: When There's a Will, There's a Way. Eventhough There's no Water

Have you ever done something, thinking that it was a great idea, but halfway through you realized it was so dumb? I'm notorious for doing exactly that. Yesterday my landlord sent all of the tenants note saying that there will be no water from 1-3pm today. Before I went to bed last night, I kept reminding myself about it. See, ever since I've become a mother, I often have brain farts. No kidding. Once, 2 hours after I put the rice and water in the rice cooker, I wondered why it hadn't "ding"ed yet. I didn't press the cook button.... 

Today, surprisingly both kids were behaving well. No one's nagging Mommy for this or that. So I decided to make the long postponed lemon pound cake my husband has been asking for. And you know what? While at it, why not make some whole wheat bread too? So after I kneaded the bread dough and leave it to rise, I made the lemon pound cake. All was good. The boy even helped a little bit by trying to squeeze the lemon juice. The girl was playing quietly by herself in the bouncer. Life was beautiful. Until.....




I freaking realized, there's no water. Smart, eh? Right now, my kitchen sink is filled with dirty dishes. I was the clean-as-you-go kind of cook. So once I used the bowl/spoon/whatever, they'll be washed immediately. My OCD-self cannot stand the thought of being unable to wash them right away. And I keep on cursing myself for not waiting until at least tomorrow to make the lemon pound cake.

But aside from the messy kitchen, I'm glad I made it. It was sticky, crumbly, sweet, and tangy. The added glaze keeps the cake moist. It has everything you want in a lemon pound cake. As for the whole wheat bread, it's still baking in the oven. 

Lemon Pound Cake, courtesy of Gale Gand
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temp
  • 1 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice, plus 1/3 cup
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line a loaf pan. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.

Cream butter and 1 cup of sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients and 1/3 cup of lemon juice alternatively. Mix until smooth.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 65 mins, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Make the glaze by stirring together 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of lemon juice, to dissolve the sugar.


Once the cake is done, let it cool in the pan for about 20 mins. Put it on top of the wire rack with baking sheet under. Brush the glaze all over the cake and let it soak in. Repeat until all the glaze is used. Let cool at room temp. 



Now I'm going to enjoy the quiet time while both kids are napping. The boy had been on no-nap strike for months now... but today he woke up early, so he napped at 2pm! Yay! :P

9 comments:

  1. Hahaha.. I'm the clean-as-you-go kind of cook as well.. I hate a sink filled with dirty dishes, and nothing sets me off like waking up to one, hahaha. The lemon pound cake looks fab, might have to give that a try. That with a cuppa black coffee sounds like breakfast for champion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @bubbles: haha yeah. I washed dishes like mad woman once the water was on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this - I have a thing for citrus at the moment - can you guess. With afternoon indian tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pauline: I love it with tea too but never tried Indian tea before. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I wish my water would prevent me having to wash up. I try to do what you do - wash up as I go but It isn't always successful. The lemon pound cake look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @All That's Left Are Crumbs: hahaha you're funny! Trying to avoid the washing duty? I just really hate it when my sink is full of dirty dishes. It gives me headache

    ReplyDelete
  7. Messy kitchen or not you have a beautiful and tasty lemon cake! Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny!! At least your were able to turn out an amazing pound cake! Thoughts of lemon are getting me excited for warmer weather

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks incredibly good. I must make this I believe. ;) Ehehehe....I forget stuff all the time...this so would have been me. ;)

    ReplyDelete