Tuesday, January 25, 2011

From Sausage to Corn Dogs

After weeks of being busy doing homework and school-related stuff, last weekend my husband finally had spare time to spend quality time with me. Our idea of quality time? Sausage making. Amid the hum of the stand mixer, we talked. We were catching up. Nowadays, juggling with two kids (me) and pursuing his master degree plus working full-time (him), it's hard to chat without interruption of a 4-yr-old wanting attention. Or a 3-month-old needing her milk. Or a homework needed to be done. 



We talked about our goals, those we've achieved and those we're planning to achieve. Talking about future trip to Indonesia to visit my parents. And planning the summer (I want to go whale watching!). We talked about the kids, movies, everything under the sun.


Bored of the spicy garlic sausage, we made this habanero sausage. I wanted to use more habanero, but with my son in mind, I put less. 5 habaneros for 5 lbs of meat. If it's up to me, I'd have put 10 habaneros just because I love seeing the orange flecks when you cut into the sausage.




My husband requested corn dogs. To be honest with you, I wasn't too eager to make it. I had never had decent corn dogs until today. Don't know why, the ones I've tried before tasted chemical-y. Hard and dry, I'd rather eat cardboard. But this one is crisp on the outside, yet softoin the inside. The corn batter mellows out the spiciness of the sausage. Each bite bursts with flavor.

I know, it's still winter and corn dogs is more like a summer food. But hey, it's not a crime to pretend that it's summer, right?


For the corn batter: 
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup milk
Whisk the dry ingredients together, then stir in milk and egg. 

Dip the sausage into the mixture. Once it's well coated, deep fry until golden brown. Serve with mustard!



2 comments:

  1. What a great corn dog. Looks delicious with the sausage instead of hotdogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum!!! i loveee corn dogs and so glad that you get to have some quality time with your hubby ;)

    ReplyDelete